Neem is a highly beneficial plant. Its different parts like leaves, branches and stems are commonly used by many people. The kernel of this plant is used in producing neem oil. There are multiple neem oil benefits. From skin to hair, many issues can be fixed with just a few rounds of using neem oil. Pure neem oil is a key component of many ayurvedic medicines and solutions. In this age of technology and advancement, the beauty industry still sticks to using ingredients like neem oil for skin.
Scientific name: Azadirachta indica
Neem oil uses & benefits
Neem oil uses and benefits are numerous. It has medicinal properties and is widely used in cosmetics and personal care products such as shampoos, soaps, creams, lotions and hair oil. Let us discuss the significant neem oil benefits in detail.
Neem oil for skin
- Neem oil for skin works wonders on the skin. When you massage your body with neem oil, it helps to boost collagen.
- Neem oil benefits for skin increase when it is used as a moisturiser because it gives extra nourishment to your skin and helps to make it healthier.
- When products like body lotion or talcum powder containing neem oil are used on the body, it provides skin protection and prevents dullness.
- The benefits of neem oil for skin pigmentation are known to all. Whether it is used directly or in the form of soaps or creams, it helps to reduce the effect of pigmentation on your skin.
- There are many neem oil benefits for skin as it has anti-fungal properties. Hence, it protects you from any fungal infection on your skin.
- Organic neem oil is a great source of fatty acids and vitamin E which are a quintessential component that is used widely in beauty products to keep your skin plump and hydrated.
- Neem oil for acne is very effective as it has antiseptic properties.
- One of the key uses of neem oil for face is a cream or a soap, it provides protection from pollution and dust and helps to give you a natural glow.
Neem oil for hair
- When neem oil for hair is used, it helps to cure the fungal infection on your scalp.
- It is a rich source of vitamin E, which is an essential component in providing nourishment to the hair.
- Pure neem oil is packed with antioxidants. Hence, it prevents excessive hair fall too.
- If neem oil for dandruff is applied to your scalp area, it works to reduce dandruff effectively. Further, it tones the scalp and helps avoid the reemergence of dandruff.
- Pure neem oil is also functional to provide you with soft, silky and healthy hair.
- When mixed with sweet almond oil or sesame oil, it helps make your hair thicker and promotes growth. Neem oil for dandruff is more effective with this blend.
- The antibiotic properties in the neem oil help to treat baldness or sudden hair loss.
- Neem oil uses for hair also includes protection to your hair from being damaged by pollutants and dust particles.
- A common problem in the Indian sub-continent is the growth of lice on the scalp. Neem oil for lice kills the parasite and rejuvenates our scalp
How to apply/use
Neem oil uses for skin and hair are many. But for the optimum results, you need to apply it as recommended by experts and dermatologists.
Neem oil for skin
- It is easy to use neem oil-based soaps or body washes. You can use it on a daily basis while having a bath to protect your skin.
- In the case of pigment formation on your skin, you can use neem oil for skin pigmentation by putting it directly in your bathing water.
- If you are having thin hair, you can add neem oil into sweet almond oil and apply it with the help of your fingers to get satisfactory results.
- Neem oil for acne gives great results. It reduces acne and also prevents it from appearing further. You can use neem oil for face by means of face wash daily to get a glowing spotless face.
- It is also a good idea to use neem oil while bathing because it reduces body odour. Just put 4 to 5 drops into a bucket filled with lukewarm water. Repeat this daily to cherish the benefits of neem oil on face.
Neem oil for hair
- Some people find it tricky as they do not know how to use neem oil for hair. Its use is as simple as normal hair oil.
- For the best neem oil for hair benefits, take a portion of oil enough to spread throughout the scalp and from the roots to the tips of the hair.
- Massage the scalp with the oil and make sure it covers all over the head and hair thoroughly.
- Keep the oil as it is for at least 30 minutes and then, wash off the oil by using a hair soap or shampoo.
- You can use neem oil for lice in the same way. Besides, you can choose to keep the oil overnight on the scalp to ensure any lice growing on it.
Side effects of Neem Oil
With the neem oil uses comes a few side effects. You should pay heed to them before making use of the oil.
- The difficulty in breathing can occur in rare cases while using neem oil directly on your skin.
- The neem oil side effects include the risk of severe rashes due to excessive use.
- When used directly on the face, it may cause a kind of irritation.
- In some studies, low-toxicity substances are found in it which may cause skin allergies too.
- Neem oil for hair side effects includes clogging of scalp pores. It is an oil of high density. So, it easily attaches to the surface of our scalp and makes it difficult for hair to remove excess secreted oil.
- While using organic neem oil on your face, If it comes in contact with the eyes, it can cause unbearable itching and irritation.
- Neem oil for hair side effects like flaking due to excessive use can deteriorate scalp health. Hence, stop using it if you see an abnormality.
Precautions while using Neem Oil
It is better to take some precautions before using neem oil as given below.
- Avoid using cold pressed neem oil directly on your face in case of any feeling of burn. Instead, you can use neem oil-based face washes or creams.
- In case of sudden eye contact with oil, rinse your eyes thoroughly with normal water to avoid irritation.
- Stop using neem oil immediately while having breathing issues. Use soaps or body washes with some extract of it which is a good alternative.
FAQs on Neem Oil
- Is neem oil good for hair?
Yes, neem oil benefits for hair are numerous as it has Vitamin E and fatty acids which helps to grow hair and keeps it manageable as well as strong.
- How to make neem oil for hair growth?
Cold pressing is the best method for making neem oil. For the preparation of cold pressed neem oil, dry neem seed and remove the husk to obtain kernels. Kernels are pressed to release the oil. Neem oil benefits for hair increase when obtained by this method.
- Can I apply neem oil directly on hair?
Neem oil for hair is quite beneficial. You can apply it directly in a small quantity. If it suits you, continue to use it for a great outcome.
- Is neem oil good for dandruff?
Neem oil uses for hair is very effective for dandruff as it has anti-fungal and antiseptic properties.
- Can I apply neem oil directly on skin?
You can use neem oil directly on your skin for witnessing the best benefits of neem oil on face and skin. It helps to avoid skin allergies or infections but make sure to keep it limited to external use. Neem oil uses for skin can also help deal with acne issues.
- Can I mix neem oil with tea tree oil?
Yes, for the best neem oil for hair benefits, use it with tea tree oil. It cures acne scars and helps to control dandruff and moisturises the skin.
2. Can I use neem oil to treat dryness?
Yes, you can use oil of neem for moisturising dry skin. It works well with no or few neem oil side effects in rare cases.
3.How to use neem oil for hair on oily scalp?
You can apply neem oil on the oily scalp but you need to know how to use neem oil for hair. You should not use this oil more than twice a week. If you find your scalp too greasy, opt for a hair wash after leaving it on the scalp for 30 minutes.